Friday, July 20, 2007

Solomon's Survive First Earthquake

Ironic that just this week I wrote about how much I love California, and less than 48 hours we experience out first real earthquake.

I've been waiting to experience my first quake for many years, and last night finally lost my "virginity" so to speak. While I have felt a few small tremors in the past, last night was the first time there's been no mistake about it. The Wife and I woke up simultaneously and said "Earthquake."

It occurred at 4:47 am so obviously we were pretty much out of it, but it certainly woke us up. The Boy woke up too, while The Girl slept soundly. A 4.2 is pretty mild but served as a good reminder that it probably doesn't hurt for us to have a gameplan in place for how to react/respond if/when we get hit with a big one (we have a plan to meet at the kid's school in the event of a big one, but we don't have a plan for what to do during non-school season).

Anyway, it was a pretty unique and weird sensation and lasted for about a minute. The Boy came running in and said his bed was shaking; Thw Wife told him it was just the garbage men (who do collect on Friday mornings) but I felt obliged to tell him the truth, which probably was the right decision, but should have waited until later in the day. My son is a bit of as sensistive soul and kind of freaked out. He spent the remainder of the night (or what remained of it) sleeping on his sister's floor.

I saw my neighbor Jim early this am and asked if he felt it. He had a funny line, something to the effect of "Real Californian's sleep through 4.2's." He added that while a quake of this size was fairly innocuous and kind of entertaining, a 6.0 or above will strike the fear of g-d in us.

So ... a late addendum to my "California, Baby" post of two days back: there's a downside or two to living here too, earthquakes being at the top of the list.

2 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

wow! in all the times i visted california, and lived there i never experienced a good earthquake. i guess never big enough to wake me up.and i was pretty bummed about that. they were enough to move the bed a few feet from the wall but not enough to wake me? sopund sleeper i guess, and the earthquake drills in High School were interesting experiences. 6'2"crawling under a desk. not comfortable!

Crazymamaof6 said...

Damn typo! gotta go read Harry Potter. have fun watching the tour!