Saturday, July 14, 2007

Welcome To The Tour de France

I expect the Tour de France to start in earnest tomorrow; the first week is all flats and is generally uneventful, crashes aside (and we've had a few doozie crashes thus far, including Kloden and Vino yesterday).

The race officially hit the mountains (Alps) today and tomorrow's stage should be very interesting; I have a strong sense we'll see who's in form. We also should see exactly how injured the two Astana riders are or aren't.

My prediction: we'll see a billy goat climber such as Rasmussen, Flecha, Mayo or Valverde, take a flyer and win the stage on a breakaway, but we should see some separation among the GC, especially with the rest day on Monday. If Levi has his legs, I think tomorrow would be a great day to stage a nice attack, if only to see if Vino is bluffing his injuries or not. I have no sense of what kind of form Levi is in, though I was a bit disappointed with his performance in the prologue; 40 seconds back was a bit much.

that was the thing I loved most about Lance. He'd come in to the prologue and win by 20 seconds and you knew he was going for the win just to f*&^ with the other riders head. In essence, he'd win the tour on the very first day. Lance Armstrong; without doubt, the best ever.

Though I catch every stage in the evenings, tomorrow is the first day of this Tour I'll be up early to catch the action live.

On the subject of cycling: I got tested in the lab this week and though my VO2 max has improved a bit (probably the result of all the high intensity swimming), my VT1 watts remains pretty lame. Still got some serious work to do on the bike.

I also hope everyone is working on their running, because we're les than two months out from the first annual Howard Solomon race for Thyroid Cancer. Remember: come September 8th all you have to do is run. That's it. I will be making a cash donation to ThyCa based on our collective miles.

Everyone who goes over 10 miles also gets a specially-designed race t-shirt, if that provides any further motivation. I have list of all those who previously committed; let me know if there are any others out there, or if anyone wants to up their mileage. Right now, Payro leads the pack with his commitment of 20 miles.

No comments: