Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sweet Home, Chicago

I'm back in my old hometown and I must say, I definitely miss Chicago more than I realized. It's such a great town, especially in the Summer. By the way, if any of my Chicago friends happen to be reading this and I didn't have occasion to see or speak with you, my apologies: this is a quick in and out trip for a colleagues wedding, which was held last night deep in enemy territory: South Bend, Indiana, right on Notre Dame campus. Neil, you would have been freaking out: I could see Touchdown Jesus from my hotel room.

For old times sake, I went for a swim in Lake Michigan with my main man Dave and then went for an hour-plus run to his house along the lake path. Not quite as pretty as the trails of Marin, but very fun in its own right and it took me back in time. One thing about Chicago though that I absolutely do not miss: the humidity. Although the weather in the Bay Area is relatively temperate (more than I like), I think I've taken for granted the fact that we have zero humidity.

A very cool thing happened at the wedding last night which really moved me: three people (including the bride's mother and grandmother) came up to me and said that they pray for my health every day in Church. Two people who I never met until yesterday. I just found that to incredible and it's something I am deeply grateful for and will never forget. I was seated next to a woman who's a two time breast cancer survivor, who is currently having her last chemo treatment. We chatted for a while and it's really amazing the bond that we cancer people share.

On a different topic, Contador took the Tour. Yesterday's time trial was unbelieveably exciting: so much so that I watched it three times. Levi had the ride of his life - I could not be more stoked for him as it was his first ever Tour stage win - and Contador was spectacular in holding off Cadel Evans. This may have been Discovery's best tour of all time: two stage wins, white jersey, yellow jersey and Levi on the podium. You cannot ask for more than that. That said, I am going to hold my breath for two days just to make sure all the drug tests come clean. You never know in the this sport.

That's about it for now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hehehe - words cannot describe how happy it is to hear that a Michigan fan was "forced" to be at ND for a weekend. :)

Anonymous said...

Hehehe - words cannot describe how happy it is to hear that a Michigan fan was "forced" to be at ND for a weekend. :)