Tuesday, July 31, 2007

On Going Bald

One thing I haven't blogged about until now is the sad state of affairs as relates to my poor head.

Alas, at 41, I'm starting to go bald. It's not terribly noticeable and others, including the Wife, tell me that I'm making a mountain out of a molehill, but the sad truth is that it's definitely happening at a fairly rapid pace (in my opinion, at least), and for someone like me who is admittedly a tad vain when it comes to my personal appearance, it's a bummer.

The other aspect to this is I think, though I am not certain, that there might be some corrolation between my balding and the thyroid cancer. After all, the thyroid controls all aspects of metabolism, including hair growth, and my problems on top of my head seem to coincide with my diagnosis (though I hasten to add that this could simply be attributable to age). I've read on the ThyCa boards that others have experienced hair loss in the same areas as me, particularly after going hypo, but that it's ultimately grown back. I think there might be something to this as I've noticed that my hair seems to come out in chunks, particularly in the month right after resuming my meds, post-treatment. CrazyMoma, you experience, or hear of anything similiar?

For a few months I've fretted about the idea of losing my hair, but no longer. I've always been pretty zen about things that are out of my control and there's nothing I can do here, short of a paid visit to a Bosley Center or something of the sort. I will declare this though: even though the wife might leave me for saying/doing this, if it progresses any more, I'm shaving my head stone cold bald. That is, after i get an ear tuck.
_______________________________________________

I love my colleagues: for the most part they are pretty young and they are a very fun group. We had a going away party today for a young lady who is leaving PR to take a teaching job and the conversation turned to reality TV. The consensus among this group is that the Mark Philoupoussis show -- Age of Love -- is the hit of the summer, followed by that show on A&E (I think it's A&E) about rock and roll groupies who vie for the guy in the 80's hair band, Poison. Anyone know the name of that one? I've read bit and pieces about it, but my office folks says it's a must see, so it's going to get added to the TIVO tonight.
_______________________________________________

Speaking of TIVO, which in the interest of full disclosure is a client of mine, is that not the best invention of the last ten years? I mean -- what is even close (of course I am talking from a technology standpoint)? I love my iphone but it's not even a close call. Seriously, if any of you have a consumer product that has made more of an impact in your respective life, please state what it is in the comments section. I'd genuinely be curious to know.

________________________________________________

The Howard Solomon Run for Thyroid Cancer is coming upon us. Hope you are all doing some training. Any new readers out there willing to participate? That's about it. Need to carry go now and carry back on with my wild and wooly bachelorhood (which will likely consist of nothing more than me watching the aforementioned TV shows).

3 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

i haven't lost any hair from my thyca, sorry! but i would be thrilled to because i have too much hair. and my fave invention? totally with you on TIVO! lifetime membership! love that!
and my next fave that i have yet to acquire is a cellphone that can surf the internet while i shop. iphone, blackberry, palm treo. when i get one that will be my ultimate thrill! that has been my ultimate fantasy for many years now and low and behold it is on the market but not in my budget yet. someday!

Anonymous said...

I know, I'm a terrible friend, I really am, but I did get a chuckle out of your comment "someone like me who is admittedly a tad vain when it comes to my personal appearance". There are so many ways to go with that...

I'll just let it be.

My training for the HSRTC is coming along nicely. I'm focused on biking. I got in a nice 80 miles this weekend, and ran an easy 6 last night. My total will be a combo of bike and run miles, since the foot is still AWOL.

Anonymous said...

Couple things.....

Balding???? Dude, welcome to my life. Try Propecia.... the sooner you get on it the better it is at preventing new loss and growing back the old stuff. The longer you wait it will still help but not as well. I, ahhhh, errrr, ummmm, heard that somewhere. ;-)

Special thanks for mentioning Entourage the other day. I have been so busy I have hardly watched any TV in weeks. I went and checked and have 5 UNWATCHED EPISODES OF ENTOURAGE recorded!!!! It was like the holidays arrived early.

And, glad that Payro mentioned the combo running/biking. You'll recall that was my initial hesitation because I have not been runing distance this year But, I am putting in the hours and total miles. Trust me, I will earn the donation.