Thursday, July 26, 2007

Random Musings

Here I've been bitching about the lack of summer TV, and as it turns out, the best show has only been on my favorite channel (ESPN) and has been about my favorite baseball team (The Yankees).

From what I hear, The Bronx is Burning, based on the book, is supposed to be very good. I watched a few minutes last night with The Boy, and it was super fun telling him about how much I followed the Yankees in that magical season of 1977. I tried explaining Reggie Jackson, Billy Martin, George Steinbrenner, et al. but frankly, it was mostly lost on him. He was interested though, as was I, in watching more of the show, but I told him that it was best we start from the beginning. Does anyone know if it's going to be re-broadcast, or available online?
_____________________________________________________________

The Wife and the Kids head East this weekend for a month-long visit. Of course I will miss them dearly, but as I've learned, they will be back soon enough. I would be lying if I didn't say that I will relish a little peace and quiet in my life for a change. I love those kids dearly (the wife too for that matter) but man, when they fight, it's just unreal. Now I know how my parents felt raising three boys.

So, I am going to be a bachelor for a few weeks. Anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? Back in the day, a month-long sabbatical would likely mean many a trip to many a bar, but something sad has happened to me of late (cancer aside): I've grown old and boring. Probably won't do anything enormously interesting, though I will be able to get in longer weekend bike rides and runs. Yippeee. Aren't I a wild and crazy guy? Anyway, this should provide pretty good blog fodder for the next few weeks.
____________________________________________________________

I'm out of things to say on the Tour de France. This year's race speaks for itself. I expected there to be "problems" with one or two minor riders, but good lord: never did I expect that Vino of all people would be caught, or that the Yellow freaking Jersey would be thrown out by his own team. I didn't get any real pleasure in watching Contador don the yellow jersey today and it bums me out that Cadel Evans will likely win this race. He's a terrific rider but didn't show enough in this tour to deserve a win (sorry Tom from Australia. If you happen to be reading this, it surely isn't personal). I will definitely be pulling hard for Levi though in Saturday's tt but I don't think he can take a minute out of Evans. I predict: 1. Cadel Evans 2. Levi 3. Contador for final podioum places.

By the way, I shed nary a tear for Rasmussen. I never liked him and I thought he acted like an ass this tour. Sadly, I think he got what he deserved.

_____________________________________________________________

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Bronx is Burning book is a must read. I have only watched a little of the show - love John Tutorro as Billy Martin - but will set it up on my DVR. I'm sure it will be replayed many times. I started watching Mad Men. Its very cool. About Madison Avenue advertising men in 1960. Great period piece. we'll have to see if a plot actually develops. Created by a producer of the Sopranos. Give it a shot.

Anonymous said...

Also giving Mad Men a shot. Got a TiVo season pass and everything.

H, you definitely have some youth left in you. Wait until you hit 50 before you start calling yourself "old and boring."

Schmeriously, otherwise it's no fun for the "young and incredible" like us to call you that.

natch.

Anonymous said...

yesh, i think you still have a few more evenings in bars in you, yo