Friday, September 28, 2007

ET

Tonight was movie night at my kid's school. It's one of our favorite nights of the year. Everyone brings blankets, pillows, food and wine - plenty of wine (it is Northern California, after all) and watch a movie that's broadcast on the side of the school. It's just a plain old, all-american good time. The weather gets brisk but not cold and it's just a chill scene. Anyway, last year they made a pretty big blunder with the movie; they selected The Shaggy Dog. The 1952 version with Fred MacMurray. WHich runs nearly three hours. Suffice to say, the kids started to get a little wild after fifteen minutes and I can't say I blame them. This year the movie was ET which is without question one of the greatest movies of all time. I'm going to go on a limb and hazard to guess that on average, most of you have not seen ET in at least 15 years. Here's a very strong recommendation: the next cold or rainy weekend afternoon, grab a warm blanket and kick it old school with my main boy ET. I promise you will thank me. There's something to be said about the classics.

On the same topic, last night I was in LA where our client sponsored "dinner and a movie" at the Santa Monica pier. It was similar to the above except with far less fewer kids (and a LOT more wine, as my client is a major Italian wine brand). It was a great event as was the movie: Moonstruck, with Cher and a young Nicholas Cage. I was too busy running around to watch the entire movie, but I did get to watch the last 20 minutes and this one too is also an all-time classic.

Classics. Maybe the above, coupled with some of the "classic" baseball teams making the playoff (Yanks, Red Sox, Cubs, Indians, et al) sets some sort of motif for the coming week.

(ps. I think i have a new sport and it's pretty damn rad. More on this later)

No comments: