Thursday, September 6, 2007

Well, Well, Well

Word on the street has it that Apple has recognized the error of its way, and will be granting all iPhone users a $100 gift card (which isn't the same as cold hard cash, but a magninimous gesture all the same) towards future Apple products.

Very smart move, Apple. When I posted my feelings on this subject last night, I was unaware of that fact that the blogosphere (as well as traditional media) was ripping Apple hard for this gaffe. From a PR standpoint, giving $100 back to us early adopters is very smart business, and I suspect it will earn them back some goodwill. That being said, though, I stand by my comment that I am over being an early adopter. The truth is my brother Neil is right; all of their products come down significantly inside of six months, and there's not product that can't wait (the exception being, of course, the iPhone).

_________________________________

On a different subject, what about A-Rd hitting two home runs IN ONE INNING just hours after getting back from the hospital and getting an MRI on his balky ankle? That is straight-up Ruthian (as in Babe) and I think he sealed the MVP last night, which is nice, but what I really seek in a wild card berth and a playoff matchup with the Sox. Bring it.

__________________________________

This weekend UM -- which is featured on the front cover of Sports Illustrated in what has got to be the most embarrasing cover ever for us UM grads, takes on Oregon. I have to say, I am afraid. Our season hangs in the balance. I suspect we'll either beatt hem by 40 or lose badly -- and thus be completely exposed.

__________________________________

Today was my last hard workout before the big race on Sunday. I went a little harder than I would have liked, but I feel like all systems are a go. I suffered through some crappy workouts this weekend which left me a tad nervous but I think I'm ready to rock and roll. I've enjoyed the training immensely, but I will be happy when this one is over!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can’t understand why fellow apple users feel like suckers for the i-phone price drop. While Jobs has generally stuck with being a “good guy”, I don’t get why you and others (such as this: http://strumpette.com/archives/555-Jobs-to-Appleheads-Drop-Dead.html) can’t see that Job is like everyone else. Buy an ipod? Expect the price to drop, or better yet, new versions to come out in a few months. Early adopters pay for that role; they pay through the nose and likely watch the price go down soon thereafter. X-Box, Playstation, any new cell phone, computers, it’s a running joke that that they drop. Here is a great post on the subject: http://www.hitokiri.com/blog/archives/2007/09/i_heart_my_ipho.php. This shouldn’t surprise anyone that Jobs is in it for the buck; it should be surprising that he was so dumb in how he approached and executed it.

Howard Solomon said...

WOw. First time I've ever been compatred to Strumpette. Isn't that ironic. GUess there is a first time for everything. You raise fair points ANthony and trust me, I've been buying consumer products for years and I know the drill. I am fully aware that the iphone will be $199 inside a year and I am ok with it. I just felt this was a bit too dramatic a cut, and announced a tad too soon after the initial product announcement. Evidently, APple has come to the same conclusion as they just announced a 100 rebate, so I Think all's well that ends well.

Crazymamaof6 said...

wow! on the price cut, and wow on the gift card make up. and wow on that first comment! and i have to say form a totally not cutting edge non apple user it is interesting to watch go down. we have never owned an ipod , nano or otherwise nor do we use apple computers. and while the iphone looks interesting and has certainly alot of hype surrounding it , i haven't done my research on it. i do think from a consumer standpoint they are making a good call on trying to keep their die hard fans happy by not completely screwing them over after all. but also by doing this price cut they are now opening their market share to a larger group, by reducing the price for all those that were dying to own an iphone but were turned off by the price.and just in time for back to school.